In SharePoint 2010 there is a new template called “Group Work Site”. A Group Work site is basically just a Blank Site template with some extra added WebParts that stimulate group activities such as:
- Group Calendar (Use the Calendar list to keep informed of upcoming meetings, deadlines.)
- Circulations (Use this list to inform team members and request confirmation stamps.)
- Phone Call Memo (Use this list to share the incoming phone call information.)
- Resources (Use this list to document shared assets, such as cameras and vehicles. Users can reserve and track listed resources in Group Calendar.)
- Whereabouts (Use this list to quickly and easily track the location of individuals throughout the day.)
After creating a SharePoint site based upon the “Group Work Site” template you immediately will notice the purpose of the site, if that was not already clear to you due to the obvious template title ;)… There is a BIG calendar view on the homepage!
What does it do?
It displays all items from pre-selected lists where your username occurs in a pre determined column, to make that more clear a screenshot with the WebPart settings:
As you can see you are free to add or remove a list from the “What’s New” WebPart.
Important: At the bottom of the WebPart settings there is a line:
Only lists that have indexes on [Modified] column can be added to this web part. To enable index, go to the list setting page
When you have created a custom list or for instance a document library, just click on “Metadata navigation settings”.In the next properties window you can configure key filters, there you need to add the “Modified” column.
This makes sure that you can select your custom document library in the “What’s New” WebPart so that you get to see updates from that library as well.
Select the column that you want the “What’s New” WebPart to filter with your username.
Off course you can think of solutions where you have added a custom column of the type “Person or Group” and filter by that column in the “What’s New” WebPart.
Pretty basic overview of items in different lists.
It can also show your items with a little bit more details:
Easy to use, easy to configure query WebPart that keeps you updated on a user friendly manner.